11.29.2011

crescent dinner rolls

I was assigned rolls for Thanksgiving dinner this year. I'd never made rolls, but I knew they had to be homemade. Store bought rolls are just not Thanksgiving options for me. My mom sent me her two favorite roll recipes, and the night before Thanksgiving I tried out the one with the least amount of rising time (not this one). I completely botched it. It called for a lot of kneading, and I may have overdone it. I'm thinking I may have accidentally added an extra cup of flour, since they turned out kind of tough and bland-tasting.

Anyway, I tried this recipe Thanksgiving morning and it was a success! So easy to make and hardly any kneading at all. You do have to plan ahead with it because you'll need 4-6 hours of rising time before the rolls can be cooked. But they are completely worth it. (Everyone at dinner raved about them. :)

Crescent Dinner Rolls 
from Susie Greer

Add 2 Tbs yeast to 3/4 c lukewarm water in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 tsp sugar on top to help activate.

In a large bowl combine:
1 c room temperature water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c oil
3 eggs

Add yeast and stir.
Add 6 c flour. Mix well.
Set aside until doubled in size (2-4 hrs). Cover with a light cloth or set near a warm oven to help the dough rise more quickly.

Sprinkle pastry sheet with flour.
Knead dough until smooth (about 5 times). Do NOT over-knead.

Divide dough in half. Roll out like a pizza, then cut into sixteen pizza-shaped slices.
Start at wide end of a piece and roll to thin end, in a crescent shape.
Place on greased cookie sheet. Repeat with all pieces.

Repeat with other half of dough.

Let rise until double in size (1-2 hours). Again, cover with a light cloth or set near a warm oven to help the dough rise more quickly.

Bake at 375 for 14 minutes or until golden. If convection oven, bake at 350 for 11 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Makes 32 rolls.

No comments: